A few of you may have noticed that I am a little bit obsessed with a website called Well Nourished. So, when the amazing opportunity to become affiliated with their website and recipe eBooks arose I could barely contain myself. Why? Because I genuinely believe that their approach to nutrition ticks all the right boxes for our modern world. I thought I should tell you a little about why I love their information so much. And while I am at it, I would like to review their newly released eBook: A Well Nourished Lunchbox.
Why I love Well Nourished
I started following Well Nourished a few years ago now and have watched them grow into an important member of the online real food community. Well Nourished was started by Georgia Harding, a Naturopath with 20 years of clinical experience behind her approach to eating. She is clearly passionate about making the world a better place through nutrition. Her approach to food is intelligent, balanced and approachable.
Well Nourished recognises the highly individualised nature of how we eat. While many bloggers share the food suited to them and their families, Well Nourished goes to great lengths to share recipes with variations to suit almost everyone. All this, without preaching any one way of eating to suit everyone or any nutritional absolutes. There is a strong focus on variety, eating nutrient-dense foods and listening to your body. An approach that resonates very strongly with me.
A Well Nourished Lunchbox
I have two young boys in daycare. As a Naturopath, the food they eat is important to me and my daycare has a "bring your own food" policy. Hence, I am always on the lookout for inspiration for the sometimes monotonous task of lunch-packing. I bought this book on the day it was released for this reason. This book is everything I expected it to be: educational, practical and motivating.
It's highlights are:
- 50 real food recipes that are nut-free, nutritionally balanced and low-sugar.
- Over 200 variations to these recipes, including gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free, egg-free and low-fructose options. So many options that it's almost like a choose your own adventure cookbook (with good endings, of course).
- Reliable and simple recipes. And this is saying something, as wholefood ingredients are notoriously finicky to cook with. The reward for effort ratio of these recipes is always positive.
- A great balance of savoury, raw and baked snack ideas.
- Useful advice on using leftover dinner, especially protein, in lunch boxes.
- Great information regarding the best types of each food group to put in a lunch box. It empowers you with knowledge to make the best food choices you can.
- A great discussion on choosing the best breads, while also providing plenty of sandwich-free options in the interest of variety and nutrient-density.
- Versatile recipes that can easily be utilised for different meal times also. You will find these recipes fit into your life at breakfast, lunch and dinner, which is very much a real food approach to eating.
- 5% of the sale price of this eBook is donated to a small, grass-roots charity, IOOSK Cooking School for Young Mums.
Points to consider before you buy:
- Starting out with real food lunch boxes can seem daunting at first, but this eBook is very realistic. It's unintimidating, and there is no knowledge that is prerequisite.
- Sometimes real food lunch boxes can seem like an equipment intensive exercise. You don't need to have a particular lunchbox, kids food thermos or reusable food pouches to get started. But you may like to invest in the things that seem relevant to you along the way!
- There is some overlap between a few recipes in the book and the free recipes on Well Nourished's website. You may like to check out the website to see if you like the style of recipe that will be in the book. Rest assured though, there is plenty of new content and information in this book to make it great value.
- I make many of Well Nourished's recipes in my Thermomix. A good high-speed blender or food processor will be your friend with these recipes, although certainly not essential.
- If you feel that you already have a grasp on packing real food lunch boxes for your children you may be wondering if this book has anything to offer you? I'm confident that this eBook can help add to the nutritional value and variety of any lunchbox due to the range of the recipes included.
In summary, there really is something for everyone in The Well Nourished Lunchbox. These are the kind of recipes that will become your staples and change the way you cook in your household. They are delicious, child friendly and have so much nutritional integrity that I could talk about them all day long.
You can taking a look inside, find out more details or buy a copy of A Well Nourished Lunchbox here, or follow the link from the recipe section of my website.
DISCLAIMER: By purchasing products using the links above I receive a small percentage of the sale price. This does not change the sale price of your item and this allows me to spend time sharing useful recipes and information with my readers. Thanks for your support!